View Single Post
Old 08-30-2023, 01:15 PM   #7
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post
Intriguing replies, Pitchwife and Morthoron. It is a pity the Downs moves so slowly these days, as it is difficult to give out rep points and be able to return to you both to rep your posts.
I have a similar problem with you, Bb, but fortunately not with Morth and (if may be so bold?) Arv.

You raise some good points here. I'm not sure the River-woman meant to marry her daughter off to ol' Tom, but what do we know? In any case Tom and Väinämöinen are indeed similar in the power of their songs. It may be worth remembering that Joukahainen wagered and forfeited his sister, Aino, in a song contest with V.

Quote:
Yet it strikes me that there is another similarity here, which shows Tolkien's desire to depict women satisfied with the social expectations of a woman in marriage. Eowyn forsakes her wishes for her own power and freedom from societal restraint and finds domestic success with Faramir. Tolkien replaces the violent sundering of Aino and Vainamoienen with a satisfying domestic relationship between Tom and Goldberry.
Indeed. Aredhel and Eöl come to mind as a case where the marriage was not so harmonic, her acquiescence forced, and the divorce disastrous.

Quote:
After all, Tom recognises he has removed Goldberry from her childhood home and so brings her the beloved water lilies.
Oh yes! Nice touch!