View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 07:15 AM   #298
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Nice Legate, you made me laugh at the cute way you described Vriti.
Thanks Seemingly, everybody thinks that it is cute

Quote:
I have got my post up for Trór's battle plans. Please let me know if I made sense or not in my description of the land and the plan, I was very tired when I wrote this but felt an ounce of inspiration for doing it. Don't hesitate to make your own observations about the ground or plan. I was almost making the entire thing up as I went along, there is not much information on the ground of the Dimrill Dale.
Well, I could have posted it sooner, but I actually have scanned one page from Karen Wynn Fonstad's Atlas of Middle-Earth, which I have; and it provides as true as possible map of Moria and its surroundings. I have it just in Czech, but I hope you won't mind that (you can figure out most of that anyway just from the map). In any case, here it is:

The maps are: UP: Moria, LEFT: the western end of Moria (the lake with the Watcher), MIDDLE RIGHT: a schematic view "through" the mountain (going from west to east), DOWN RIGHT: the eastern end of Moria (with the Bridge&c.).

On the upper map, you can see, among other things, the Dimrill Dale. Zrcadlové jezero = Mirrormere, Durinův kámen = Durin's stone, Rmutná brána = Dimrill Gate, Rmutné schody = Dimrill Stair, Rmutný dol = Dimrill Dale, Stříberka = Silverlode, pramen = stream (the place where Silverlode streams, cf. FotR after the Company leaves Moria and the Mirrormere).

On the map of the eastern end (low right), which could also be theoretically of some use to us, the distance is in feet; sál = hall and I am sure you can read the numbers. Durinův můstek = Durin's bridge, of course. Komnata záznamů = Chamber of Records (i.e. Mazarbul). 1. hlubinné = First Deep. Brána = gate. Trhlina = the rift (it's not there yet anyway). Ke strážnici = to the guardhouse (i.e. the place where Gandalf was picking which way to go of the three possible). I guess we don't need anything more for ourselves.

Hope it will be of help. (There's not that much information known about it anyway.)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories