View Single Post
Old 01-16-2007, 08:19 PM   #80
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
‘Well, now, that’s just the problem isn’t it,’ Káta said nodding her head as Gunna spoke. ‘There is no “staying apart”, is there?’

Jóra had gone off to fetch the cart and bring it round. The girl grinned at her mother and waved. Her attention was diverted back to the cart as Granny hailed her, motioning for Jóra to give her a hand up. Káta waved back, raising her brows toward Granny. ‘Put the brake on,’ she mouthed in an exaggerated way. She flicked her hand at her daughter. ‘Help her up!’

Káta turned back to Gunna, placing her hand lightly on the woman’s arm. ‘We’re already drawn in to their plots and schemes. And most men, the gods love’m, are like horses with blinders. They need a little help, a little direction, a hint here and there.’ She crossed her arms and looked thoughtfully at Gunna, measuring how much she should confide. ‘With what fate offers us, we have to choose as best we can. We need to make sure our families are seen to. A good future secured for our children.....and our grandbabies, too..... Listen - I’ll have Grimr come pay a visit to Dag. I’m sure we have something that needs seeing to by a smith. The men can have a little talk about.....things.’

The cart pulled up; the wheels scattering scattering a little dust and a few pebbles as Jóra yanked on the little handbreak. ‘Meanwhile,’ continued Káta, putting her foot on the small step-up, ‘we women will continue as we always do. Gathering, spinning, weaving.....sharing the small things that knit us together.’

‘Come on, mami!’ Jóra’s eager voice broke in on the two women’s conversation.

‘Yes, yes.....alright!’ She clambered up into the cart, settling herself on the hard wood seat. Káta waved back at Gunna as the cart started off. ‘I’ll send Grimr.....soon as I can convince him what a great idea he had about talking to Dag.....’

Last edited by piosenniel; 01-19-2007 at 05:59 PM.