View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 02:41 PM   #723
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
A realm as great as Gondor entails a correspondingly large amount of men and time to run it, efficiently and smoothly, to ensure communication between its far-flung peoples and to uphold the law amongst them, but ultimately all power and authority traces itself back to Minas Tirith, and to the King dwelling therein.

Elessar Telcontar, Heir of Elendil, and High King of Gondor and Arnor, was that apex of power. Though he had his steward, and his vassals, and his army, and all manner of servants, things had the tendency, when important, or unusual, or troublesome, to get sent straight to the throne.

And so it was that when Erugil, Captain of the garrison of the second gate, was met by three of the Eldar, wishing to see the King, he did not think first that perhaps some other might be better able to deal with the issue, but did as they bid, and went straight to the King.

Erebemlin, March-warden of Lórien, had beheld Elessar before, during the War of the Ring and earlier, and Taitheneb had been with him, but Tharonwë the Swamp-Elf had not.

Tharonwë had good reason to be impressed by the King. This was the foster-son of Elrond, the descendent of Lúthien Tinúviel, a Númenorean of full stature. And beside him sat his queen, Arwen Undómiel.

"Hail, my guests from the North," Elessar addressed the Eldar, rising from his seat to incline his head respectfully.

Hail indeed, a strange voice echoed in his mind. Beside him, Elessar saw Arwen's eyes dart to one of the Elves.

"The bond of friendship between my people and yours has grown in recent years, but visits from our Elven friends are few. What brings the Marchwardens of Lórien to Minas Anor?"

One is not a marchwarden, the mind of the queen gave him warning. His mind is closed, and I sense a darkness about him or about his past.

Elessar half-turned to give his queen a confidant, knowing smile. I know, she could read in his expression.

You are a knowledgeable man the Elf told him. Few differentiate between one Elf and another.

Few have been raised in Imladris, Elessar replied.

Then you will know that not all Elves are to be trusted.

From the glances that the two Marchwardens exchanged, it was clear to Elessar that he was conversing with the third Elf.

"Lord King," Erebemlin inclined his head slightly. "I am, as you say, a Marchwarden of Lórien. Erebemlin Silmaethor, I am called. This is my fellow Marchwarden, Taitheneb. This Elf," he gestured at Tharonwë and scowled slightly, "calls himself Maegeleb, and is the reason I am here."

This will be an interesting tale, I suspect, Arwen's amusement plain in Aragorn's thoughts. A twitch in his cheek and a twinkle in his eye suggested that he shared her sentiment.

"If there is a difficulty in which I may assist, then I encourage you to state your case," Elessar addressed the Elves.

"Our difficulty is simple," said Erebemlin. "This Maegeleb has been harassing and endangering the subjects of your realm. We wish to remand him to your custody."

And I wish to be set free, the Elf's voice echoed again, clearly coming from the Swamp-Elf Maegeleb. Do not trust all that these self-righteous Marchwardens say! Their vision is narrow. Maegeleb's thought bore the weight of... something. Desperation, maybe? Intensity? Truth? Beside him, Arwen eye's bored into Maegeleb.

Elessar leaned forward towards the Elves.

"Explain, if you would."

"Together with Taitheneb here, and a number of companions of your race, we were travelling through the swamps about the mouth of the Entwash," Erebemlin began to explain. "This Maegeleb dwelt there, and kept a number of fell servants. He attacked our company, taking our womenfolk prisoner. One of our company perished. He attempted to use the power of his mind to coerce and endanger us, and succeeding in kidnapping one of our number. He returned and surrendered himself to us, but we wish to be rid of him, and to see him punished for his misdeeds."

"Is this the truth?" Elessar spoke directly to Tharonwë, making eye contact. The Swamp-Elf stared back at him, attempting to look unafraid, yet humble; osanwë projecting a emotion of strong truth at the King.

"Silmaethor leaves out all the details, and gives a biased account," he told the King, "but it is correct insofar as it goes." Yet there is more to be said that I would say, were I permitted to speak alone!

My husband shall do as he desires, Arwen cut in coldly. Desist! Tharonwë's mind fell silent, respectful of the Queen's wishes.

Elessar glanced wryly at Arwen, questioning.

There is a darkness to him, her mind impressed upon him again, her mouth set with a hint of petulant concern. He may be more dangerous than he seems, she warned him. Elessar nodded slowly.

"I desire to know a good deal more," Elessar turned to Erebemlin again. "I do not doubt the truth of what you speak, but there is more to be told. Why were you travelling in the lands of Men? Who are these companions of whom you speak? Why were they with you? And I should like an fuller accounting of the events in swamp. What you have said has the ring of truth, but it seems but the barest account. If I am to deal with Maegeleb, I must know what bone of contention lay between you."

Last edited by Formendacil; 07-06-2006 at 03:07 PM.