View Single Post
Old 03-17-2004, 07:38 PM   #226
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Menecin

The time was fast approaching Menecin thought, and Naiore’s mind turned once again to him, now that she knew he had lived. And he too craved with all his being to go to her, to put an end to what she had begun in him, silencing forever the clamor that beat incessantly in his mind. But long gone were those days when she would take interest in his nightmares or make a show of pity. Now she loomed a both loved and detested figure presiding over every fragment of his waking thought, stealing from him even the peaceful solitude he had once found in his art. For every impulse was tainted by her imprint. He, in his naiveté, had not believed their venture, their mutual interests would end badly and that she, continuing to pursue their darker paths, would emerge from it so depraved. But listening to his daughter’s words he yet again was shown the essential truth of what his love had become.

Menecin, holding at bay the chill anguish that gripped him as he learned of Vanwe's recent suffering and his unwitting part in it, took up her hands still clutching the cup, and long searched the hauntingly familiar eyes as he traced his own heart’s whisperings. Glancing quickly at the others who crowded in the small room, his sad piercing eyes returned to the girl. “Neither you nor Naiore Dannan can free me, nor Lords Elladan or Elrohir, I no longer hold hope of it." The rich voice grew hard as it took a fierce edge, "But mark my words daughter, though you are here in this cage now, you are free. Do you understand? - You must resist, you have to resist…” he trailed off weakly.

Vanwe shook her head almost imperceptibly and Menecin sighed. No she did not understand, not yet, not fully, and seeing the girl's confusion, he softened, stroking her fair hair gently. No this was not his Naiore, this was an innocent sent to torment him, his own flesh twisted and sent to deepen this already hellish night. Would Naiore not stop? Would she then corrupt her own offspring for her satifaction? He rose as he began to weep silently, turning his back so that his daughter might not see his bitter tears or the depth of his pain. Yes, she would do this. Well he knew her hunger far surpassed her great beauty…and in her serenity there was no peace. No peace.

He could hear as Valaindon...no, no…it was now Léspheria who spoke in hushed tones to the girl, his child. He suddenly felt worn, and a renewed burst of sorrow brought with it a chill in his heart that soon swept over him, until his body trembled. He was alone, yet he was not. “We must resist,” he murmured, blankly staring at wall, as though he would see through the stones there. “I promise you I will not loose you Vanwe, though I myself am lost."

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 03-24-2004 at 06:59 PM.