View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 01:50 AM   #21
HerenIstarion
Deadnight Chanter

HerenIstarion is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to HerenIstarion
Quote:
there is a tradition of theist claims to the effect that the God explanation is special in such a way that it does not require a further explanation, or that it explains itself. The validity of such a claim is where the argument would lie if we were to continue down this road
True, I can't empirically 'prove' the validity of that last argument, I have only circumstantial evidence to provide you with, but that will bring us off Tolkien allright (even if I hold that it really explains itself). But really it's a draw, so let's call it quits. Anyways, it was flattering to be termed 'intelligent philosopher' up there. My cheeks are still glowing

But back to ME, again

What I was trying to say is that for elves and men, who haven't got direct experience of Eru (i.e. haven't got empiric data backing up His existence), the situation of 'faith vs science' is morally equal to that of our Primary World. And, risking repeating myself, in that respect, Good vs Evil is also opposition of societies where Faith and Science (or estel and magic) are harmonized (case 1 - Free People) and where Science is not even in conflict with Faith, but it's only Science and no Faith at all (or no estel but magic only)(Case 2 Sauron)

Things like longevity of elven life, their good sight (even if it really were ultraviolet) etc etc are not really 'magic' or 'miracle' - they are facts coherent inside ME and therefore natural (and so 'scientifically' explainable)

Why I equal magic to science (or technology) in ME's case, I've already explained. For more, see Post #54 of the Acceptance of Mythology thread

cheers

- Would you believe in the love at first sight?
- Yes I'm certain that it happens all the time!

Last edited by HerenIstarion; 11-05-2004 at 01:51 AM. Reason: UBB code mishandlings
HerenIstarion is offline   Reply With Quote