View Single Post
Old 09-25-2003, 07:03 PM   #98
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Silmaril

"One other thing – though I wouldn’t want to take more of your time than you can give. Once the horses are seen to, we need to see to the railing on the Inn’s front porch. There’s a section of it that needs replacing. Can you handle a hammer and nails . . .?"

Niniel smiled. The expressions that had flitted across the stable-master's face had been a bit worriesome for a moment, like he suspected something of what she wasn't telling him. But this question she could answer well enough and without having to try to cover any of her past. A hammer and nails weren't worth enough to risk stealing, and it would be ridiculous to try to carry away lumber.

"I-I c-c-can c-c-c-certainly try, sir," she chuckled. "I-I've w-w-wandered for m-m-most of m-my life, th-th-that I-I remember at least, a-a-and I-I haven't e-e-ever needed t-t-to use them. B-b-but I c-c-c-can learn."

She stirred her soup around a bit, dipping some of the coarse bread into it and lifting it to her mouth. She was careful not to let it drip onto the table; she had an idea that the cook would have her hide for that sort of thing. Especially if she hoped to work here.

I wonder if I'll need to do heavy work like Derufin does... she thought.