View Single Post
Old 09-22-2003, 07:38 PM   #84
Elora
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elora has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nuinyulma glanced to Doran, who was swallowed by thought. As Uien paused, she caught Evinytar's glance as he left the inn and felt a pang of guilt. So much to do and she was planning to leave the Stablemaster for a time in order to aid upon this search. She looked back to the pair she had been speaking to at the table.

"Perhaps you would like to discuss this amongst yourselves," Uien offered. It would certainly have taken her aback to have a stranger approach her with such a tale and request their help. She stood, smoothing her skirts and left them with one last plea.

"Please, a man could lie dying in the Wilderness. I need all the help I can find. I leave at dawn, the day after tomorrow. If you would leave with me, I can be found at the stables until then.

Enjoy your evening." Uien smiled at Nuinyulma and offered to same to Doran, without guile. She made one detour to fetch the promised drinks and left them to deliberate. Falowik would have greater success than she, Uien thought. She hoped he fared better upon the road than she presently did. The thought of him lightened her heart a measure as she espied Lira.

Perhaps, Uien thought, I could try again. Still Evinytar would need assistance. Caught, Uien decided upon a course of action. She neared Lira and ventured a smile for the other.

"I see you are much recovered from when last I saw you," Uien said as she approached. Lira blinked at her in question, mind wandering back to the tumultuous first hours of her arrival at the inn. She smiled faintly in understanding and inclined her head in acknowledgement.

"Yes, I am," she replied after a moment. It had been some time since last Uien had spoken with an Elf. Her gaze dropped to where Lira clutched her dagger and then returned to Lira's face.

"I do not wish to impose," Uien said, "But I had thought to speak with you on a matter of some importance." Lira nodded brusquely.

"I had thought the same," she replied. Uien brightened.

"Would it be too much to ask you to accompany me to the stables. I have work there that I have left undone too long and time is slipping through my fingers." In answer, Lira stood with a quick smile and they departed through the door. Uien noticed Lira look around her, as though something or someone was expected to follow her, but said nothing of it.

As they crossed the distance between Inn and stables, Uien continued on.

"A man has been attacked and abducted," she began, "and I mean to gather a party of those willing to find him to join with those already set upon this task." Lira nodded.

"I heard you speak of this at the inn. When do you mean to set out?"

"Dawn, in two days time. I dare not delay any longer."

"And where do you intend to make for?"

"Northern Eriador. It is where Eodwine was last sighted."

"Who will you travel with?"

"The Master of Buckland will likely appoint a representative. Also a man of great honour, Falowik," Uien's voice softened with her face as she shaped his name. "Also the Shirrif Falco Boffin may likely come with us..." Any softness was replaced by a subtle flash of irritation. Uien turned her face to Lira.

"I was hoping you too would join us," she said boldly as they reached the stables.

Falco Boffin, meanwhile, had watched Uien stumble with Nuinyulma and Doran. The pair sat in earnest discussion now. How in the world was Eodwine to be rescued if it was left to that Elf to raise the search party? He drained his ale with a distinct sense of renewed importance. Smoothing his vest as he stood, Falco set off to raise his own search party.

What they needed was good, stout, sensible hobbits. Uppity Elves and ruffian Men, Rangers and somesuch, could wander about all they pleased. But his search party, would get there and back again sooner. Falco wagered with himself that he'd probably have a party put together and on its way before Uien ever set out after that dubious Falowik fellow.

So intent was Falco on proving his worth and ability as a Shiriff that he was nearly out of the door by the time Ruby called out after him.

"Hoy there, Shiriff! Think you could spare us a copper or four for the vittles you've managed to work your way through tonight?" Falco flushed as he dug in his vest pocket.

"Of course I can," he spluttered as he rapidly closed the gap between himself and Ruby. He was already red cheeked and did not wish for Ruby to have cause to loudly declare her communications with him across the common room. More than a few looked assiduously away as he took care of the outstanding account.

Falco pressed the coins into Ruby's waiting hand. She batted her lashes, a smile of pure amusement on her features. "Never doubted it for a moment, Shirrif. What, a Hobbit of your esteemed stature and all." Falco scowled at her mightily, which only caused Ruby's smile to widen. He spun about and resumed, muttering about those who darken the good office of Shiriff with such foolish comments.

Ruby chortled merrily, pocketing the payment with the others and speeding along her separate way. She found the table she was aiming for, occupied by a Hobbit who had asked for a jar of ale to go.

Ruby placed a foaming tankard before him and appraised the hobbit.

"We're mighty busy tonight, but I'll do my best to see you are not left dry, good Master. However, this is an Inn of excellent standing and we do not offer take-away ale service." Ruby's voice held a hint of a sniff at the very idea. Sam eyed her and saw Ruby relent somewhat.

"So, if you've a mind to stay, do enjoy some of the fare from our kitchens. Like our ale, it's the finest around." She nodded, pleased at having gotten a pitch for Cook's work in as well. As ever though, Ruby was not standing still long before another shout for more ale went up.
Characters: Rosmarin: Lady of Cardolan; Lochared: Vagabond of Dunland; Simra: Daughter of Khand; Naiore: Lady of the Sweet Swan; Menecin: Bard of the Singing Seas; Vanwe: Lost Maiden; Ronnan: Lord of Thieves; and, Uien of the Twilight