Thread: Elrond's speech
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 06:48 AM   #5
Pervinca Took
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Pervinca Took is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
I agree with Mithalwen, but see the focus as much more shared. Galadriel and the other Ringbearers would still be seen as very significant, I think ... although two [Edit: three] of them were very short-term, of course, and Galadriel (to mortals) was much more hidden and seemingly "mythical," so to speak.

Aragorn would presumably have been very instrumental in matters such as when the new age began, as well as choosing of the date of the new year in Gondor and the celebration of Frodo's birthday (I think this latter one became known as Ring-Day, but I wouldn't swear to it - it might have been the new year date).

I would say that Aragorn's reverence and respect for Galadriel and Gandalf were no less than those he held for Elrond ... plus she was Arwen's grandmother, of course. And his determination to honour the huge part taken in the victory against Sauron by the diminutive Ringbearers is evident both on the Field of Cormallen and in his subsequent deeds, "You shall travel in honour and arrayed as princes of the land," etc - not to mention the two new festival days I mentioned above.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it would be completely down to Aragorn. But if he hadn't honoured and revered the Ringbearers as he did, would his people have done so? Gondor's new king, had he been a con-merchant and not the decent and noble Aragorn, could have downplayed their role. Well, there is the rather obvious tell-tale collapse of Barad-dur, etc, but a skilled spin-doctor, had he wanted to, could have pretended it was more Aragorn's doing than it was (after all, his military and leadership prowess was tremendous, and he had come to the succour of Minas Tirith in the pirate ships, and the fighting immediately following the destruction of the Ring was still very significant).

Admittedly, the Wise would not have thought much of any King of Gondor that would do that, but then they departed two and a half years after the fall of Sauron, and Aragorn continued to honour the part played by the Ringbearers. (OK, the sons of Elrond and Celeborn were still around, but still).

P.S. Welcome to the Downs, Popo.

Last edited by Pervinca Took; 08-20-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Pervinca Took is offline   Reply With Quote