View Single Post
Old 07-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #1877
Ealasaide
Shadow of Tyrn Gorthad

Ealasaide has just left Hobbiton.
No inconvenience at all! But thank you for the explanations. I have to confess thinking, my goodness Nogrod is picky! "Young" seemed like such an innocuous adjective. Now that I know your reasons, it is much more understandable. All I had to go on really was the following:

Quote:
Stigend....age unknown... an Eorling journeyman carpenter, whose wife is Modtryth, and son, Cnebba
Since he seemed to be acting like an impetuous young fellow, charging all alone into a room full of cutthroats, I suppose I did make the assumption that he was not so weathered and experienced as you now point out he is. Apologies!

Perhaps we should have a link somewhere to a more comprehensive set of character portraits so as writers we all have some sort of quick reference that we can go to when dealing with another writer's character. I don't even know what most of the characters here look like aside from male/female and a rough age estimate. It makes for much more colorful writing when we can make use of accurate detail.

As for the ages of my characters:
I see the outlaws as being in their early-to-mid-30's. Ulric may be slightly older (Elempi -- correct me if I am wrong. You were writing Ulric before I got my hooks into him. )
Elián is in his late twenties, probably 27 or 28.