View Single Post
Old 06-20-2023, 02:55 PM   #12
Alassė Estel
Wight

Alassė Estel has just left Hobbiton.
One of my very favorite things about The Lord Of The Rings overall, is that Tolkien ties everything up so nicely and everyone has a happy ending. Now obviously there were still sad parts like Gollum's story, Saruman's treachery, Denethor's gruesome end, etcetera, and things one always wonders about like the Entwives, or the blue wizards. But by and far there are no loose ends and no one is forgotten. The four hobbits see Barliman Butterbur again, and dear old Bill the pony is not forgotten. We are not left to wonder whether or not the hobbits settle down and start their own families, and Tolkien even tells us about Erebor and Dale, how they were attacked and all that became of them. Even poor destable Lobelia Sackville-Baggins is given a decent ending. My favorite characters are Samwise Gamgee, Gandalf, and Faramir. Sam is a simple fellow, but he has such a strong spirit and a good deal of sheer pluck. And though is unlearned, he has much wisdom, even though I think he would be surprised to hear it said of him. Gandalf. He always has comfort for those who are afraid, encouragement for the desparaging, and cheer for the mournful. Often it strikes me that he carries a great burden of worries and concerns which he keeps and bears himself. Always he is the level headed leader. I have heard it said that of the five Istari, Gandalf was perhaps the only one to fulfill his duty. Saruman was corrupted. And Radagast, though he surely had his place (I have nothing against him, in fact I have always liked him), over the years he seemed to grow more reclusive, and keep only the company of the beasts and birds, instead of keeping hope in men's hearts and a watch on evil. And thus, he sort of fades away. It is unclear what became of the blue wizards. Perhaps they died in their quests. But then, Gandalf was sent back because his duty remained yet unfulfilled. One would assume that it would be so also with the blue wizards. Perhaps they became hermits and hid themselves away similar to Radagast. At any rate, they are a mystery. But Gandalf day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year carries on. It is he who carefully watches the seemingly sleeping powers of darkness. He keeps guard on the realms of men, elves amd dwarves aiding when needed. He puts to right things that are wrong. For instance, if there is a dragon to be slain, it is Gandalf who orchestrates it's demise. Finally, after his great and enduring efforts, Sauron is cast down. His purpose is complete. He leaves the lands where he has loved and suffered for so long to return home across the sea, his part in the tale is at long last over. And as far as we are told, he is the only one of his order to do so. Faramir is one of my favorites because he is a man of great wisdom and virtue. It was always impresssed me when after all his prying into the purpose of Frodo and Sam, he finally gets the knowledge he seeks, but with prudence and control over himself he forbids them to tell anymore. For me, changing completely the character of Faramir was one of the greatest flaws in Peter Jackson's movies. They are not to be considered the same person. This is a lot more than I intended to write. But there it is. A few of my very favorite characters and themes.
John 3:16
Alassė Estel is offline   Reply With Quote