Thread: Is Eru God?
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2005, 10:24 PM   #257
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I seem to recall that alatar raised a remonstration regarding angels "clothing" themselves in human form, probably right down to DNA, including the capability for reproduction and the continuation of a human line through many generations: how, then, is the humanity of Christ, who is God, according to Christians, special? The answer is that Jesus is God, not merely an angel, and that he did not "clothe" himself (no matter how completely that may be done) in humanity, but was conceived in Mary's womb by the Spirit of God, was carried to term through pregnancy, and was BORN fully human AND fully God. Exceptional. Beyond that, Jesus' purpose was his own death (and resurrection) in order to satisfy the justice of God. Only a man who was God could accomplish that. Qualitatively different from angels clothing themselves in human form for the sake of their self-glorification.
Please do not misunderstand my question. I am completely familiar with Christianity, Jesus and related materials. My point, held by many in the faith, is if angels have the power of physicality, what's to stop a dark angel, such as Lucifer, from mascarading as the Risen Christ? He could do all, seemingly, that Jesus did (except, of course, wash away our sins with his blood) during the last three years of his earthly life, including the 40/50 days of Pentecost. And my POV would be, say Peter or Thomas or the Centurion at Capernaum, not Jesus or the Father.

To say that angels, with the permission/help of God, clothe themselves in bodies is one thing, but to say that all angels can at will 'be' in the physical world and mate with humans is, to me, beyond the pale.

Tolkien's angels weren't exactly thus.