Thread: Is Eru God?
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2005, 09:23 AM   #251
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formendacil
Who knows, but the question is equally valid for the Catholic God as it is for Eru, and is so is a factor proving the sameness of the two.
Much agreed.

Quote:
Tolkien definitely states that Manwe was Eru's Vicegerent. I don't think the term CEO is ever used.
I was just being facetious . My point is that Arda has a Boss/King/Viceregent/CEO/etc. Does the Christian world have the same? And doesn't the Bible state who the prince of this world is?

And to go off on another tangent: In Arda, we have the drowning of Númenor - the Gift taken back. I used to think of this event as a shadow for the Noachian Flood, but more detailed analysis would show that these two events aren't very similar.

In Arda, only a specific island is destroyed. Though survivors, on boats, leave Númenor before the drowning, they do not have to take anything but the tunics on their backs and any artifacts that they might treasure - the rest of the world and all of the flora and fauna therein are not threatened. Elendil's family, loyal to the Valar and respecting the Ban, leave as it is prudent (they are threatened by the King's men) and not because Manwe tells them that it might be a good idea. Many other differences can be cited, and so maybe only I thought that the two were concordant somehow.

Anyway, the question then is: Is Eru God? The God of the Bible has destroyed mankind, locally and globally at times. Seemingly Eru has only done this once locally. To me YHWH has intervened, not only it little ways, but also on a global massive scale. Eru seems to sit back and watch, taking a less active role, and if he does act, then it may be in some small way (as when it is assumed that he pushes Gollum over the edge).

Is Eru a less stern/punishing God?