View Single Post
Old 09-28-2004, 02:24 PM   #449
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A laptop or a Dell pocket pc would indeed be nice! If you saw how garbled my own handwriting is, you would agree that even that funny, skinny type is better than my illegible script. However, I think the true answer is to add more hours to the day, and I haven't figured out how to do that yet.
Meanwhile, I am popping this planning material forward:

The day of the death:
-A small pot of water would be placed outside the tent were Ayar died.
-A high bier would be constructed outside the camp and Ayar’s body washed.
-Thorn would carry Ayar to the bier and place her on it, followed by Ráma and Narika, and then the rest of the clan.
-Narika and Ráma would arrange their mother to be comfortably facing west.
-All remaining possessions belonging to Ayar would be burned in front of her body at sunset, so that nothing might keep her from flying free of her body.
-The clan would join in songs to encourage Ayar to leave for the west, and assuring her that they will be all right.
-A smoky fire is kept near the body, for the next few days.

Day 2:
-At sunset the clan would gather again to sing this time in camp, once more encouraging Ayar to leave as well as recounting tales of her ancestors.

Day 3:
-The body is burned and the remains buried.
-At sunset again the clan would gather in camp singing about the ancestors and adding a new song about Ayar.

Day 4:
- The pot of water is symbolically upturned by family members, and the clan is now free to move on.

Now, let me get writing and see what comes out....