View Single Post
Old 10-30-2009, 04:36 PM   #510
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
"Lord Athanar, I am Degas," he responded, leaning forward. "I am brother of the Lady and a lord of the Folde, a close ally, friend, and neighbor to Elfhelm of Aldburg, who took lordship of it once designated Marshall of the East-mark in the place of King Eomer.

"The reason you were unaware of my position at Scarburg is because I am no lord of the Middle Emnet, and I am not a caretaker of its lands. I am sworn to Elfhelm, who is my own Eorl, and to the King, but the expanse of lands trusted to Eodwine to govern hold little interest for me except as part of our kingdom.

"I am, however, the sworn brother of Lord Eodwine who vowed to come to the aid of his family and his people in the event of his sickness or demise, and to fight for those same people as though they were of my own flesh, bound to me as I was to them." Degas said this neutrally, almost as though it was a mere trifle of a matter. He briefly considered inspecting his fingernails to reaffirm his adopted nonchalance, however chose to meet Athanar's eyes instead. "While the King may have deigned you to be Eorl in my brother's absence, and the seat of the eorldom lies here at Scarburg, Eodwine remains the Lord of these lands upon which you sit, and regardless of Eodwine's current health, the heir to these lands sits here and now at this table.

"Or," he smiled, inviting the others, who had tensed, to see his calmness, "perhaps I should say that the heir sleeps here and now, spending his time growing and becoming strong. As I said, I am not a caretaker of this Emnet you now lead. I am, however, a staunch caretaker of those who rightfully rule this particular land, and while you may sit rightfully in the chair of the Eorl, the seat of the Lord of Scarburg does not belong to you."

Degas sat back, and he waited. While at times it was prudent to say little and listen much, at other times it was best to speak with forthrightness. He sensed that Athanar was the type of man that approved of blunt honesty. Well, Degas could not really have been more blunt unless he had said that if Saeryn and her unborn child were not treated with proper respect as the lady and heir of these lands, the people of Athanar would quickly meet the people of Degas, and it would not be for a shared meal.

Degas watched as Athanar formulated an answer, and wondered whether he had drawn the man's wrath or respect with his choice of discussion.