View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 02:21 AM   #9
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
You've all mentioned the points I was thinking while watching, except one only briefly - the wandering song! That alone was worth watching the confused and confusing rest. I love Tolkien's walking songs and have compared different melodies considering their beauty as well as their usefulness for the purpose.

This one has a wonderful melody, and though it is sung pensively, it could be sung while walking. I love the way it begins with the rustic voice we would expect, and then becomes more polished as it goes on - would you have expected the actress to have such a lovely voice?! I also love the way it is set musically - starting off without accompaniment, then very subtly adding instruments bit by bit. Then the final note is completely a capella and fades into silence.

The lyrics are well written, imo - bits of foreshadowing in the "not all who wander are lost" (the word play with wonder/wander reminds me af the Christmas carol "I wonder as I wander), some contents to speculate on (trees of stone, tower, black sand) - what did you notice about it?

I defy anyone to listen to it and not be moved!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 09-28-2022 at 03:00 AM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote