Thread: Is Eru God?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 12:50 PM   #113
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
We're back on topic! Yay!

You make a good point, Saucy, but allow me to explain from the perspective of one who has been raised in a Christian home. Is it really so difficult to believe that a person may take for granted a thought that is central to his ideaology, philosophy, and general out look on life?

I'll use a real life example: At one point, I was discussing future plans with an Agnostic friend of mine. She asked me what I was looking for in my wedding, should I ever have one. My requirements were simple- any month but May, and my uncle to serve as pastor. This confused my friend greatly, and she asked what a pastor would be doing there! She hadn't even considered a Christian wedding in a church, and I hadn't considered anything but. This isn't because I assumed she would have these things to (I knew better), but because I took my faith for granted. To me, it was obvious, as the connection between Eru and God would be obvious to Tolkien.

And as davem pointed out- Tolkien never really expected the books to be so popular.

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote