View Single Post
Old 11-10-2003, 12:48 PM   #29
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I only had time to skim through this great looking thread, so a quick point first.

re
Quote:
BTW, I once put up a thread comparing these two authors, but had few takers. Still wondering if anyone out there has any views and opinions on Pullman in relation to Tolkien.......
I think Pullman calling Tolkien's character's having no physcological depth is a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

His dark materials are refreshingly great, but I can see NO example of his characters having any MORE depth than the main characters in LOTR. And yes I HAVE read the books, really like them, and have feelings towards the characters. I can gauge this by crying at the end of the 3rd book as I do in LOTR. And it's quite a simillar ending to LOTR when you think about it isn't it? I won't spoil it, but for you out there who have read it, see if you can get what I mean. Think of the position of the main 2 characters in both books and how they finish up respective of each other..........

So Mr Pullman, those without sin cast the first stone etc!!!!

PS Faramir is one of my favourites for his characterisation. A master interrogator.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote