View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 11:07 AM   #12
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
White Tree

Basically Tolkien didn't like allegories, or at least he denied vehemently ever using them:

Quote:
...my mind does not work allegorically~Letter 144
Quote:
The story is not about JRRT at all, and is at no point an attempt to allegorize his experience of life.~Letter 183
Quote:
There is no symbolism or conscious allegory in my story.~Letter 203
There are several other places where Tolkien denies using allegories, but what he does say about them in his work:
Quote:
Other arrangements could be devised accordingly to the tastes or views of those who like allegory or topical reference. But I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and have always done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicablity to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse ';applicability'; with ';allegory; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.~Foreward to LOTR
As you can pretty much do with any piece of literature, if you are looking for allegories, than you can certainly find them. But, whatever allegory can be applied, is up to the reader, and the reader alone:
Quote:
Of course the L.R. does not belong to me. It has been brought forth and must now go its appointed way in the world, though naturally I take a deep interest in its fortunes , as a person would of a child.~Letter # 328
Quote:
I much refer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers~Foreward to LOTR
With Tolkien it's up to the indivuality and 'mind' of the reader, it's the 'freedom of applicability.' So, while you can certainly find biblical reference (a long with several other mythologies and histories Tolkien was drawing off of). I would disagree with someone trying to make it an accepted view that Gandalf=resurrection, Aragorn=Jesus, or anything of the sort. As it all comes down to the applicability and the freedom of the reader to apply their own meaning...or that Tolkien was stealing ideas from the Bible, because someone may not interpret Saruman as being a 'Judas' Figure.