View Single Post
Old 08-24-2006, 08:57 AM   #10
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I'm with Hook and morm on the Balrog, Saruman/Grima and the Undying Lands.

But I see differences with Gandalf and Elrond.

Gandalf died to save his companions from the balrog. Because of this, and because his quest was not yet fulfilled, he was resurrected. Jesus died and came back to save mankind from their sins. I'd say this is a significantly different motive. It is a resurrection, but not 'The' resurrection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun
If there is one character I would liken Elrond to, it would be Jesus - why is a difficult question to answer. He spends much of his time preaching & recalling important events in history, & using this to counsel those in the House of Elrond. Of all the Good free folk in Middle-Earth, Elrond to my mind represents Good better than anyone else (save Gandalf the White perhaps).
Preaching and counselling was not everything Jesus did in his life, so I don't see the connection.
I'm not knowledgeable enough about the bible to tell whether one of the prophets of the old testament could have a similarity to him.

Like Hook and Fea said, Tolkien got his inspiration from more or less all myths and sagas, surely including the bible. It's what he made of it that made it great.
If you copy from one, you steal; If you copy from many, you let yourself be inspired.

PS: It isn't my intention to quash your ideas, Mansun, and I'm sure it isn't Hook's and morm's. Every new thought is welcome and should, and hereby is, encouraged.
I agree with you Fea, however, if we want to discuss the given topic, we must be allowed to criticise the given view if we don't agree with it. I'm sure that's what Mansun wants, too.

(edit: as you might guessed, cross-posted with morm)
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote