View Single Post
Old 10-10-2002, 12:54 PM   #354
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Sting

Hi all,

Here's a summary of Phura's developing schemes to date:

1. Hobbits see better in darkness-- especially cave hobbits. In order to gain that advantage, there will be a plan to knock out all the candle flames (via expertly thrown rocks, hobbits have deadeye aim according to Tolkien). You see the beginnings of this in Gamba's rock throwing at the waterfront. "Candlestones" will become a big game for all the hobbits and even the guards take an interest and start placing bets. (They'll feel silly when the lights go out, til their throats are slit.)

Yes-- this will place the Lonely Star folks at a disadvantage in the caves. Maybe they can have, or steal, their own torches and be mighty glad of them.

My original idea was that the main cave goes dark first, with all the annexes; then (Bird, does this sound interesting?) able-bodied hobbits charge the Locks, take out the lights there and slit the guards' throats. (they'll need one candle under a bucket to open the doors with)

Phura, Tuka and Gamba are about to concoct a scheme (based on Gamba's tickling matches with his kids) that in the dark, from behind, five hobbits tackle one guard apeice... details on that will be up in a bit... and slit his throat.

I'm assuming ten guards in the main cave. THroatslitting is usually assigned to Largest Male Hobbit on the team. However for impromptu throatslittings it's whoever's got the knife jumps last.... Anee, Daisy take note.

Daggers/ knives needed for this, hoping to make them at night, without hammering, in the old iron mines/ armories. (Sharon, so glad you suggested that, ages ago.) Anybody got an idea for an excuse to begin melting iron ore again? There I'm stuck. Maybe I just need a way to vacate the old forges of all guards... hmmm... are they deserted due to lack of interest? Would the men be that stupid?

Perhaps Captain Tarkil convieniently demands some Iron Thing that might work for an excuse to light the forge fires again, on the other hand it seems a bit Too Contrived. I'd rather think of something else, but I haven't yet. (They get no meat, so there are no kitchen knives.)

Meanwhile: gotta love those riverstones.

Guidelines for general Melee: Everybody has pockets full of egg-sized rocks, from the huge piles that Phura & Kesha & others will continue to pick up from the riverbottom. It may not be fatal but it sure is annoying. While guards are ducking rocks, hobbits swarm and slit as required.

(About the rocks: over the next nine days, target practice ("Candlestones", one candle as the target, one as the rekindler) becomes a game, and the guards may actually join in for betting sometimes, but they always lose to the hobbits.)

Sharon, Loremaster turns out to have been a shepherd in his younger days: absolutely deadly with a sling. He tears a strip of cloth from his shirt. Also several of the elders/ older hobbits still remember this fine art. Slingshots are deadly.

Shovels good, picks good.

3. THen the hobbits have to find thier way in the dark, but, since they grew up inthe caves, gollum-like, this is not too bad for them.

(note: sunshine is horrible for them once on The Ships!! Sunburns and eye-glare and wicked HEADACHES. Only the gravediggers have gotten a wee little bit used to it-- but not much; the sea is much brighter than any graveyard especially once you're staring at moist dirt.)

4. Everybody herds down to the water. (Sharon, you organize.) Young hobbits (teens to forties) are all swimmers; old hobbits are not; babies must be carried.

This is where the weapons (picks, shovels, etc) become a liability! Ever tried to swim with a shovel? All but the smallest (knives & daggers) must be left behind unless the handles are long enough that the blades drag on the bottom (longhandled shovels may qualify here.) Other than knives & daggers, the hobbits will be swimming completely vulnerable.

They either swim just out to where the river surfaces, and then run on the banks, or, they swim all the way to the ships-- Levanto, what's your advice? You know the terrain.

Comments/ improvements/ catcalls?

--Helen