View Single Post
Old 10-10-2002, 12:03 PM   #351
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Regarding imprisoned hobbits. Some ideas. None of this is set in stone, but I wanted someplace to start the discussion. Ideas, comments, changes, anyone--advisors, crew, whatever???

I think we're going to need to get real busy on this. I will make a few suggestions and see what you think. Helen, you know these characters in the tombs better than anyone else. Please let us know if you see a problem in terms of characterization.

First, it's my understanding that everyone will need to go down to the water. What I am not sure of is whether we will need to go into the water itself. Let me ask Pio to clarify exactly where the hobbits have to go to get rescued. She knows more about rescue logistics than I do.

Also, Pio I need to know the exact time of the rescue. After dinner, or dead in the middle of the night? This will make a difference where people are.

BTW--In my opinion, there should be a day between the Elves' arrival and the rescue.

OK-- First, who should be in charge of this planning within the hobbits? My guess would be that the Eldars will meet including Loremaster and Phura. I see the Eldars as being largely (not solely) hereditary. My impression is that some of them are getting on a bit. If this is so, I would strongly suggest they also bring their sons to that meeting. I will assume that Levanto has passed the word from the Star to Bird who passed it to the Loremaster to start intensive planning.

This should happen by tomorrow. The Eldars will delegate among themselves and to other hobbits as well who are not actually at the meeting. It will still be a "secret" but the secret will now be shared by a larger group. (Am I right in assuming that most of the Hobbits don't know about Levanto or the impending rescue?).

The meeting will be fairly large. Any ideas how they could "hide" or disguise such a gathering?

Ideally, we need someone from the Star there. Bird could attend as a neekerbreeker. Since Daisy's still locked up, she can not come. I guess there's no possible way to get Levanto in????? I don't think so, unless someone else has an idea.

Second, who will actually be writing this in the story? Here is my suggestion. I will do the first meeting of the Eldars for the large planning session. But, if anyone else has a burning desire to do this overall planning scene, I will gladly bow out. Helen can you give me any more info on the Eldars, or should I use my imagination.

At this meeting, the planning itself will be delegated out. Here are the big breakdowns I see:

Weapons: Since Phura's already working on this, let it be his specialty. Have him work on the real daggers, etc. but also have him get, find, scrounge anything else that will work as weapons. Don't the hobbits in the mines use picks? They would make a wicked weapon. How about shovels out in the fields? Where are these tools usually kept? If it's a cenral storehouse, you'll have to stage a raid. Or is there a way for the hobbits to keep their own tools overnight? Or return to the mine itself to get them right before the raid? Think of something. Is there any way you can have any kind of "weapons practice" even with sticks, or is this impossible?

Helen, could you develop this planning and write these posts?

Organizing people to get them through to the ship: I can do the planning and posts on this aspect I would think Loremaster would be in charge of this in the story? What do you think, Helen? He knows all these people better than anyone,i.e. who would need extra help, and they have respect for him. Helen, if I do the posting you'll have to eyeball my stuff, since I've never posted for Loremaster. If I say something totally off character, let me know.

Basically, this will be surveying all the known pockets of hobbits in the camp,naming persons in charge of each section, deciding who gets "protected", assigning strong hobbits to go with the weak ones. In my opinion, the Eldars would not per se have special protection. It depends on their age and physical condition. The sick, the children, the elderly need to be on the "inside" and "in the middle".

Armed Resistence Bird, can this be your forte? There would be two things to plan: the liberation of the Locks, and the plan to seize back the two hobbits who have been scheduled for sacrifice that day. The Locks should only be done right before the rescue. It will divert attention away from the waterfront. Guards will be sent back to quell the rising in the Locks. As the Locks insurrection is going on, the ships land. Is that OK?

Can Gamba smuggle some daggers inside the Locks itself? I think the characters who should do the planning and lead the insurection in the Locks are Daisy, Gamba and Anee because they know the prison. Daisy and Anee will be on the outside now, but Gamba should still be working there. Since Rose is Anee, she should also help write this section.

Helen, is it ok for Gamba to do this? Bird, can you use these characters and write the posts?

Secondly, there is the ambush of the guards to rescue the two final hobbits to be sacrificed. That will take place the morning or afternoon just before the evening rescue. Who should these two hobbits be? Please put your suggestions on the discussion thread Bird, you will have the final choice in picking! The people who would lead this ambush in the story might be the character of Bird plus those Eldar who are younger, along with their sons and daughters. Bird, where will you hide these two hobbits before the rescue itself so they don' get recaptured?

Important Point: The more I get into this, the more certain I am that Rose and Cami should not be on the boats. They must be smuggled into the tomb, perhaps 1-2 days before the rescue. "Nitir and Azra" ,or at least Nitir, should be with their people. Because of the "prestige" which they have, they could do much to build spirits and calm fears. They would be involved in the evacuation-- getting people to the right spots, helping to lead people to where they are supposed to go, ecouraging them, etc. Their main job will no be fighting, though they will certainly fight if attacked.

Rose do you have a preference about being in the tombs versus being on the ship. Either place, you could get some fighting in.

In fact, in my mind, it is at the point when Nitir and Azra return to the tombs ad are welcomed, that the hobbits as a whole are told of the impending rescue. This is when the "secret" becomes shared by all the hobbits as a whole.

None of this is set in stone but we needed a place to start discussion. Ideas, comments, changes?

sharon

[ October 10, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]