Thread: Password
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 07:35 AM   #8595
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Okay okay. Three male characters, no other obvious straight clues ("archaic" could be, but probably modifies "dirt" instead).

R(1): The pronoun isn't noted as not being English, so let's figure it is. It can't be I (which can't be reversed), but could be most of the others. Probably not they or any of its derivitives, because -ht- isn't a common sound. A confused dwarf is probably a M-e dwarf's name. I'm rubbish at anagrams, so it's brute-force time!

Using the Encyclopedia of Arda index, I find no R-words which contain the reversed pronouns he/his/him/she/her/hers/us. There is one word containing reversed we, 'Renewer', but RENER doesn't seem to make a dwarf. Pronoun me, reversed produces 4 hits, but none of them are characters.

Okay, moving over to the Tolkien Gateway index. Him/his/he/she/her/hers/us once again produce nothing. 'ew' gives a lovely placename I didn't know - Ras Mewrim in the Falas - but that's not 'him'. 'em' produces a whole host of hits, but no characters.

Oh, I forgot the second person, didn't I? You/your/yours do nothing on either index, and thy/thee/thou/thine all have that same -ht-. Um, what have I missed out... 'ym'? Well, there's Raymond E. Feist, but...

Okay, it's looking like either the character isn't indexed by TG, or doesn't use an English pronoun. Hmm. Perhaps there are only a few dwarves with R in their names? NOPE there's heaps. At least 27 by my count. I... don't think I can brute-force that.

... and the E clue is an anagram of a note + a common spice, or possibly words meaning common + spice. Um... it's not pepper? Nah, anagrams from this many options aren't for me.

R(2): Either this is an archaic term for [soil/filth], or it's synonyms for archaic + dirt. Either way, either 'dirt' needs to end with R, or 'archaic' starts with it. In the latter case, the only word that jumps to mind is 'relic'; there are no names starting with that.

So, 'dirt'... there's rumour, but no names starting with ro/ruo. I can't come up with any other words ending in -r that come anywhere close to meaning 'dirt', so I guess I'll give up on this one.

I knew there was a reason I bowed out when we reached the point of Generic Noun Anagram Comma For Him. ^_~ Still, maybe I've given someone else something to start from.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote