Thread: The Stewards
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2019, 07:55 PM   #21
gandalf85
Wight

gandalf85 has just left Hobbiton.
6) Yes, you're right, we're not completely sure that dwarves were employed as road-menders specifically on the East Road. So let's keep "it would also appear that".

11) Agreed.

13) I agree with keeping more of it, but I am unsure about one part.

Quote:
Resistance still had somewhere where it could take counsel free from the Shadow.{ How could the Ringbearer have escaped, if there had been no Lórien or Rivendell?} And those places might have fallen{, I think,} if Sauron had thrown all his power against them first, and not spent more than half of it in the assault on Gondor.> And in that year the White Council met for the last time, …
It seems to me that the "assault on Gondor" referred to here is specifically talking about the siege of Minas Tirith and the Battle of Pelennor Fields, both of which haven't happened in our narrative yet. It is true that Mordor has been at war with Gondor for quite a while, so maybe this is talking about previous assaults (like the taking of Minis Ithil) but I'm not sure. This statement is immediately following one about the Ringbearer, so I'm assuming it's referring to an event which happens at the same time. What do you guys think?
gandalf85 is offline   Reply With Quote