View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #956
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
Sure, go ahead!
Okay, this may sound ridiculous to you, but it wasn't my doing, it was their's...

You had not been gone for two minutes before Janie, Zhenya, and Justin withdrew into a clump apart from Chad and I and when I began to pay attention to what they were saying, what I heard was, "Yes, it was definitely a Brittish accent."

"You guys!" I said, bursting in on their bubble. "They're from Finland - it was a Finnish accent!"

"No, no," they said wisely, turning towards me. "We obviously heard an English accent in there."

"How on earth could it be an English accent when they grew up and learned English in Finland?"

They tried to convince me that it was a Brittish accent and a reason that it might be that is because that would be the closest English speaking people near you, so you would take up their accent. I tried to explain that it didn't matter if the Brittish were the closest to you, you all learned English in grade school, so your accents would be Finnish, since you learned it from childhood AND you learned it from Finnish teachers, not from Brittish ones.

So....prove I'm right, and tell me that your accent is not a Brittish accent, but a Finnish one. er...I mean, tell me what accent you would consider yours to be. When you see a person from Britain, is their accent different than yours? I know that looking back, for instance, the way Aganzir's proper name is pronounced by you all is very different from how we pronounce it here in America, and again different from how it would be pronounced in Britain. I could not think of any other examples than her name off the top of my head, but I know it wasn't a Brittish accent.

I ran after you all to try to get your opinion on the matter, but you had just started down the hill and didn't see me running like a mad person behind you.

Hope your trip back home is safe.

-- Foley