View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 AM   #9
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

First, full disclosure: Gandalf is my favorite character from LotR. I see him as that uncle that shows up with stories about adventures, drops a few words of wisdom on you that change completely how you see the world, and leaves far too soon as he has work to do. Good man. Not a grandparent, as when Gandalf brings his "A" game, he's no dotarding extragenerian but the first to stand in the gap. You're safe when he's around, as he has a skill set that you can't even guess at. And though Gandalf sits next to the leaders of the world, he still has time for the meek, for children, for those with dirt in their fingernails.

It was the movie scene where the Witch-King breaks Gandalf's staff that so upset me that it brought me to my first and only internet forum - lucky you . It also compelled me to write the SbS. With time I was able to see Peter Jackson's version of LotR as something completely separate from the books, designed for other needs and wants, and though I'm not thrilled with his work, I appreciate that Jackson at least was able to bring LotR into the fore once more.

That said, here's my take on PJ's Gandalf:

The Grey:
- In FotR, Jackson's Gandalf bounces between the character being exactly as I imagined to a person I don't even recognize. When first in the Shire, Gandalf is mostly spot on (with the exception of a few camera angles, but those nits are picked elsewhere). Gandalf sitting with Bilbo, smoking; placing a comforting hand on Frodo's shoulder; laughing - these scenes show the Gandalf I know. As mentioned earlier, I like the scene where, at the Council, Gandalf's heart breaks when he hears Frodo accepting the terrible burden.

PJ chose well when he selected Ian McKellan.

When Frodo gets that bit of wisdom from Gandalf as the Fellowship decides which road to take when in the Mines, it's all good. Here is the wise uncle that reassures as he's seeing from a higher perspective.

And where Jackson goes beyond, we have Gandalf not falling from the Bridge in Moria, but continuing the attack ("ever I hewed him"). How cool is that?

- But we contrast that with the other Gandalf: grabbing Frodo at Bag End, begging, "Is it safe?" Kowtowing to the 'wise and powerful' Saruman without the littlest touch of suspicion. Can't believe that the same Gandalf that was snared by the White Wizard would argue *for* going through the Gap of Rohan, right next to Orthanc. From afar Saruman taunts Gandalf with what he fears in the dark. This Gandalf is scared, confused, short-sighted and sadly used to conjure a cheap trick 'gotcha' moment in the darkly lit Bag End. It gets so bad that, in the SbS, I named this other character, "Gandalf the Black."

The White:
- Again, in TTT, we have the split personality. Sometimes we're shown a Gandalf that talks of events moving that he sees at a strategic distance, and how the tide has turned, then suddenly he's begging Aragorn and Legolas for news and looking for a way out of his own despair. For better or worse, Gandalf exits the stage for a while, having become an errand rider. Sigh.

- In RotK, Gandalf has his moments. Talking with Pip about the far green country is just so good, as the Wizard again shows his larger, higher point of view. Even at the end of all things, Gandalf provides hope.

And he's become more martial, fighting on the walls, leading the men at the gate, and then again at the other gate. Then‚ ugh‚ in the same movie we get Gandalf - The WHITE!?! - begging at Saruman's door, asking for the right words that will pull him out of despair. Thankfully, this master of the defense of Middle Earth is able to trick Denethor (whom he attacks more ferociously than a battle troll), via Pip, into lighting the beacons. Guess he left his Ring, Narya, back in Moria. Though I understand that Aragorn is to become the leader of focus, I think that PJ could have done this without making Gandalf a mere captain in the last debate.

So, I like PJ's Gandalf, as portrayed by McKellan, when the character stays consistent with what we may take from the books.