Old 08-15-2006, 10:47 PM   #4
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by radagastly
I guess I'm wondering, is Tolkien's work a true mythology for you? (True as opposed to Fact!). Is it a "rock' that informs your life, relationships, creativity? Is it "always there" for you, in a mythic, perhaps subconscience sense? Does it teach you how to be whatever it is you hope to be? or think you are? Is it more for you than just a great work of fiction? If it is, why and how?
Your question is very similiar to the one I posted in my thread on Real and Fake History. My answer to your question is yes, without a doubt. The Lord of the Rings is more than a fictional tale for me. I take it very seriously and soak up as much lessons that can be learned from each of my favorite characters...and even the one's that aren't my favorites. It is "always there" for me. A lot of people don't understand, but it seems like you and others do. A lot of times (this may sound bad...snap into reality Matt!) but I tend to find myself thinking "would Boromir do this?"..."I think Aragorn would do this...", etc. And although I know that I am my own person, the influence of these fictional characters inspire me more so than a lot of real characters that have made a mark in history. So although I know TLotR is a "work of fiction" it stands as more to me. A world I can go to in my mind and learn tons from. Indeed it is a rock that informs many aspects in my life.