View Single Post
Old 04-30-2010, 05:15 AM   #40
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I think not, my young friend. You will find the fragment Narn i Gwilwileth Luin in Part 4 of The History of Middle Earth, Volume 10, as part of Note 12(b) to the long metaphysical dialogue Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth.
Prove it. Give me that text here and I'll believe you.

*crosses arms,waits*
Here:

Quote:
Finrod sighed, "Aye, adaneth, but many are the chances of this world, and hope or ruin may turn on the flap of a butterfly's wings."

"These are dark sayings," said Andreth. "Ye Eldar speak ever in riddles."

"Nay," said Finrod, "for foresight is given to me of many things, though seldom of joy. I beheld as a vision that a choice will come to a girl-child, the first-born daughter of a great warrior of the folk of Hador Lórindol and Adanel the Wise, whether to destroy a fair blue butterfly that resteth on the grass before her. For if she but let it live, in time to come one of its kin shall flit before the eyes of her sister and deliver her from the malice of the Dragon who would ensnare her; yet if she put forth her foot to crush it, her sister will be lost and grief beyond telling come upon her house.

'And I fear that the Marrer, working even through the whim of this child...'
HoMe X Part IV: Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth. This is a fragment, included in the appendix only, as it becomes indecipherable after this point, and it's not clear how Tolkien intended it to fit into the main text of the Athrabeth, or even if he did.