View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #20
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Silmaril

Quote:
Sex, however, should have more meaning and depth to it- meaning and depth that children simply can not comprehend until they mature.
I think it can dependson the kid. There's that vast space between toddlerhood and being 18. A 7-year-old is not the same as a 14-year-old. Plus, kids develop differently in general. I think in most cases, a parent should be the judge.

I personally don't think that sex is more inherently meaningful, though it can certainly be as dangerous as anything violent (due to STD's, etc.). My kid brother is 13, I think he's old enough to see, say, some scene in "Revolutionary Road" without it being damaging or horrifying or confusing, and yet there are issues with that. On the other hand, horrific scenes of violence in "Saving Private Ryan" were somehow deemed a-OK, even though he, like me, practically went into a stupor when he watched Adam Goldberg's character get stabbed to death the first time he saw it.

I guess it also depends on the scene, for me. Like, I get disturbed when I think about him watching something sadistic or creepy, much less so if he sees Leonardo Dicaprio and Kate Winslet totally clothed and on the kitchen counter.