View Single Post
Old 09-02-2004, 03:16 PM   #454
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Liornung's eyes were flashing, a startling thing to see, for he was rarely angry. He did not seem quite angry now, but he was upset and annoyed it was clear. 'Stop this foolishness immediately!' he cried, tightly holding Nethwador's arms behind his back. 'What childish way to behave is this? The sight of you two reminds me of ill-raised children fighting for the largest cake set before them. And you fight not from greed but from hate! I cannot express my disgust for such behavior!'

Speech still spilled from Nethwador's tongue, and Bella hurried to him again, taking his hands and entreating him to calm himself. Again he said to her, 'Nethwador mellon Bella.'

'Oh ho, are you now?' said Liornung. 'Then show it to her. She's entreating you to stop this nonsense. If you are her friend, if you do love her, then listen to her... especially when it's for her good and the good of us all.'

Nethwador still struggled, and Liornung looked to Bella, who continued her attempts to soothe the Easterling lad.

Argeleafa had gone to Ędegard, and she stood before him as he coughed, her eyes full of woe. 'Do you hurt very much, Ędegard?' she asked. He shook his head. The sorrow did not clear from her eyes. 'Why did you have to fight him?'

He recovered himself and spoke in a gasping voice. 'Leafa, he struck me first. I was defending myself.'

She shook her head, and her eyes filled with tears. 'But you struck him first,' said she. 'Your unkind words to him, your behavior towards him... It hurt him as much as a blow, and he saw naught to do but return it.' She gazed at him for a moment, and then she touched his eye, wincing slightly. 'His fists have some strength,' she said. 'Your eye is cut and bleeding. Let me tend to it.' And she said no more, but the woeful expression did not leave her face.