View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 AM   #1638
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Troll-Hunting with Nogrod

The other night, I dreamt a bunch of other people (none of which were specifically familiar from RL) and me were camping in the mountains with caravans and tents. We had gathered there to hunt trolls, of all things, and equipped ourselves for the purpose with all kinds of improvised weapons and armour or protective clothing, most of them looking like cobbled together from scraps and rubbish.
The first troll we met was only about a foot tall, but fought viciously, and it took a serious concerted effort to kill it, which made us somewhat apprehensive of facing a full-grown specimen. Next thing happened was we were visited by a large troup of witches - picturesquely ragged hags riding on broomsticks or branches, arriving accompanied by Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries or something similar. They had come to warn us about some really big trolls that would be coming down our valley pretty soon. We got all excited and not a bit worried, but when some time passed and the trolls didn't show up, we relaxed and decided to have a party with the witches instead. Next morning everybody was pretty hungover, so we decided to disband without having seen another troll.
What makes this a Barrow Downs dream is that one of the people in our company was Nogrod. He looked somewhat older than on the photos I've seen and had a grizzled beard. He and I were among the last people leaving the place and had a nice little conversation (of which I remember nothing) while packing our things. It seemed this wasn't his first troll-hunt, and during the fight with the mini-troll he and maybe two or three others, unlike the rest of us, had made the impression he knew his business. (Obvious WW echo!)