View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #48
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
As I'm not quite sure what you just said, I'll just pretend I am holding the TV remote and nod my head like I understand. It often works at home.

*Nods and smiles*
I'll have to remember this, as an example of a handy extricatory rhetorical device if ever it appears you are getting the best of me in a discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Underhill View Post
Never seen The Big Sleep? I'm shocked that a movie aficionado such as yourself never caught it. Ah well, the main attractions are Bogie being Bogie and the sparks he strikes with Bacall onscreen. It works much better as a novel. Take out most of Chandler's lively prose and strip it down to bare plot and I'm afraid it's a bit difficult to make sense of.

Anyway, what made me post is to say that in a lot of those old forties movies there didn't have to be any particular "activities" as you so delicately put it to prompt smoking; everybody smoked like chimneys all the time. They'd wake up in the morning and reach for a smoke.
Well, I say never miss an opportunity for innuendo, whether it fits fully or not, Mister Underhill. But, yes, sad to say, I do have these gaps. It comes from having not been born in the generation that watched these movies when they first were released.

Although I have seen the absolutely wonderful A Matter of Life and Death, 1946 version, which I believe in the US was released as Stairway to Heaven and revived by Martin Scorsese. My parents spoke endlessly of it, admiringly, to much laughter. There's a coke machine in heaven for the Yankee flyers; I cannot recall if there is much smoking in it, but as a film, it's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Personally I think it has been delayed while all the British actors auditioned for the role of the next Doctor - now the 11th has just been announced they can start casting for The Hobbit
Does this mean that David Tennant is now available to play a younger Bilbo?