View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 11:08 AM   #418
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
The books says men wear their hair long but I imagine men and women would most likely wear different styles? Elfthain and I think quite a few of the other Rohirric males in this RPG are described as having shorter hair. For Elfthain, I have personally rationalised it as being because he doesn't like the curls that appear if he lets it grow long and because he has been exposed to Gondorian fashions - Boromir is described as having his hair shorn at shoulder length and it seems reasonable to assume that was the norm.

However it describes Eowyn's hair as being released from its bonds when she removes her helm before the witch king that suggests she tucked it up rather than braiding it. So I guess you will have to choose. There are so many cultural conventions regarding hair across time and space that it is hard to say. Maybe the braids were a mark of age or rank or marital status.
Well, one thing is certain - women who work in the kitchen must tie their hair up for practical reasons. Braids, buns, doesn't really matter, but I think this detail holds regardless or culture.