View Single Post
Old 09-27-2004, 04:48 PM   #28
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
This chapter is so full of details that I'm still mulling over some of them. One question that came to me while rereading it is, whence came the Dwarven restlessness that prompted them to attempt retaking Moria? Glóin says:
Quote:
...a shadow of disquiet fell upon our people. Whence it came we did not at first perceive.
He does not tell us if they found the source of this discontent - was it planted? If so, by whom? Sauron's agents? Why? Later in the chapter, Glóin says,
Quote:
...it was partly in hope to find that ring that Balin went away.
Though the Dwarves didn't know it, Sauron already had the last Dwarven ring, so that wouldn't have been his reason for sparking that foolhardy adventure.

I also noticed one other person who was corrupted by the Ring, though he never saw it or came in its proximity - Saruman!
Quote:
It is perilous to study too deeply the arts of the Enemy, for good or for ill.
He shows some of the results that Gandalf feared for himself, had he taken the Ring - Saruman seeks to rule, for the best, as he thinks.
Quote:
...our time is at hand: the world of Men, which we must rule. But we must have power, power to order all things as we will, for that good which only the Wise can see.
With those words, he shows that he has forsaken the task that was given him, to aid subtly, not to rule.

One detail about Boromir struck me positively this time - he speaks in defense of Rohan as Gondor's ally. He protests against the notion that they pay a tribute of horses to Mordor. That shows loyalty.

Another little thing that I noticed - Galdor speaks of the danger that Sauron could defeat Gondor and go on to assail the White Towers and the Havens. I always had the impression that the Towers were relics of long-gone times and no longer inhabited. Were they manned (or "Elved" ) after all?
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote