View Single Post
Old 09-19-2004, 02:51 PM   #16
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
*Trying to catch up* It was very interesting to read all your posts and as usual I learnt a lot..
I didn't know that the colour green was associated with Faeries, and hitherto the mention of the new green clothes for Frodo had quite escaped my attention. (For me green just stood for nature and life and hope."Grün ist die Hoffnung" as we say in German)

I love Gandalf's cryptic remark about Frodo
Quote:
"He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can".
I think it refers somehow to Frodo's spiritual growth. Much later on their journey it is stated that Sam can see that light:
Quote:
Then as he kept watch, Sam had noticed that at times a light seemed to be shining faintly within; but now the light was even clearer and stronger. Frodo’s face was peaceful, the marks of fear and care had left it; but it looked old, old and beautiful, as if the chiselling of the shaping years was now revealed in many fine lines that had before been hidden; though the identity of the face was not changed. Not that Sam put it that way to himself. He shook his head, as if finding words useless, and murmured: „I love him. He’s like that, and sometimes it shines through, somehow. But I love him, whether or no.“
I think Faramir can see it too.
And the picture of the glass filled with clear light somehow reminds me of Galadriel's phial.

That moment when Sam comes in I find particularly touching:
Quote:
He ran to Frodo and took his left hand, awkwardly and shyly. He stroked it gently and then he blushed and turned hastily away.
Sam is very fond of his master and adores him. His joy at finding him well overwhelms him, yet he is afraid to show his feelings, he probably thinks that as a servant he isn’t entitled to act like that..

I love the description of the Elves and their music. Its effect on Frodo reminded me of what Tolkien wrote about the elvish craft, enchantment in „On Fairy-Stories“

To find Bilbo in Rivendell was a big surprise for Frodo. Though Gandalf, Aragorn and Gildor knew all along that Bilbo was there, none of them had told it to Frodo who had been so longing for news about Bilbo ! I wonder why?

At my first reading, I could make neither head nor tail of Bilbo’s „Earendil poem“ I kept wondering what it was about.. More glimpses of a mysterious past, and very intriguing, like the non-translated Elbereth song. (I had no rest til I had found out its meaning…thanks to the internet .)