View Single Post
Old 09-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #45
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I grew up watching those Ray Harryhausen films based on the Greek myths, standard UK telly filler for kids in the school holidays, and also great nightmare material, along with the non-canon Doctor Who films and slightly creepy folksy stories imported from the 'Eastern Bloc'. Marvellous stuff, apart from that horrific Cyclops

Jackson deliberately chose to use a lot of physical SFX due to his love of Harryhausen and you can even see that creepy, jerky effect during the scenes with Warg attacks.

Anyway, I'm now waiting for Bethberry to elaborate on that comment about Tolkien being a 20th century writer and make a thread. It's been a bugbear of mine for, oh, decades now that some people see him as a pastiche medieval writer when he really is not. His work is thoroughly modern, the product of a man who saw some of the worst of the 20th century, and filled with that same sense of loss that his contemporaries also filled their writing, music, art, and architecture with.