View Single Post
Old 09-16-2022, 03:02 PM   #43
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
I posted this on Huinesoron's thread on the first episode but that thread likely will be falling by the wayside as new episodes appear, so perhaps this comparison might more fruitfully be posted here where folks are generally discussing Galadriel and what we bring to interpreting her. I must thank the Downer formerly known as Lush for bringing the painting to my attention. She said that when she saw the painting in the State Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow she shivered and felt the floor boards creak under her, the painting was that moving.

Galadriel with the elven helmets from RoP.

And this painting by the Russian artist Vasily Vereshchagin, "The Apotheosis of War". The 19th C painting is famous for complaints made that it criticismed the Russian military; it and a second painting by Vereshchagin were not allowed in a Moscow exhibit.

I leave comments to any who might wish to interpret the similarities. Also, I fixed the sizing.