View Single Post
Old 05-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
If, say, Tuor had been the victim of Morgoth's curse, and had watched everything come crashing down on him when making good decisions, I think it would have been even more tragic. Túrin kept shooting himself in the foot, making the curse that much more workable. Someone who fails regardless of supreme effort is to me the ultimate tragedy.
But then where's the tragic flaw? In my opinion, a tragedy is much more tragic (to read!) when the character brings about his destruction by his own hand (which is unrelated to the tragic flaw idea but is just a personal taste). And you don't think Turin made an effort? He wasn't just being a big baby the whole time. He did the utmost to fight Morgoth, and he fought him with mind and body. He has this furious passion in him that keeps him going, so although he's down to his knees he gets up again. The fact that his relations didn't turn out that well and his plans went awry does not diminish the effort; if he's done the utmost but in the wrong direction, he's still done it.

Ah, we'll never agree on this.