View Single Post
Old 01-21-2003, 10:21 AM   #186
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Far away to the south, a rider entered the city of Minas Tirith bearing a message from the north. After making inquiries, he determined that the addressee was at Harlond working at the docks. The rider, weary from his long journey, entered an inn and rested for a night before moving on.

The morning found him prowling the docks seeking to deliver the message. He came across a tall man with grey eyes and raven hair shot through with strands of silver. The man was wearing a fine cloak of blue embroidered about the collar with gold. He was sitting on a piling while reviewing a scroll and occasionally looking up at a ship which rested in drydock with workers swarming over its wooden hull and decks.

The rider urged his horse forward, then dismounted, twitching aside his black cloak to reveal the livery of the White Tower. "Excuse me, sir," he said. "But might you be Mithadan, captain of the Lonely Star?"

The man looked up at the rider, squinting slightly in the morning sun. "Aye," he responded. "That I am. And you are?"

"I am Hithmir, an errand-rider of Gondor," the rider replied. "I am recently come from a journey to the north which I undertook at the behest of the King. I have a letter for you from the distant land of The Shire."

Mithadan rose and stepped forward eagerly. "A letter?," he asked excitedly.

"Aye," answered Hithmir. "From a fair Elven maiden that I met there." Hithmir rummaged about in his pouch and withdrew a sealed packet which he handed to Mithadan, who hurriedly passed the rider a handful of silver coins before stepping away to open the missive. He smiled and shook his head as he read:

Quote:
My Bearer of Light before the Sun and Moon –

Beloved, I know you would never think of yourself in this way. Even now I can see you smiling and shaking your head ‘no’. But each night I look out my window to the western horizon, where the bright evening star hangs just above the Emyn Beraid, and I hold you in my thoughts for a few, too brief, moments. It is my hope, that when the season turns, I will not look toward the east, above the Hithaeglir, to find the morning star heralding the sun. But that it will be your own dear face which wakes me with its light and laughter.

I had not intended to stay this long away from you. But events have conspired to make it so. The Inn is busier than I expected, and I have found no one as yet to take over the responsibilities left to me by the former Innkeeper. As is my wont, I have run myself ragged seeing to details. But do not worry about me. Cami is here, and she sees that I take care of myself, as best she can.

It was good news that we were able to turn a tidy profit for the partnership. Bird and I had made some plans before we finished our last voyage, and she will now be able to finance her part. It is our hope that in time we can track down the history of her race. As you know, it was in fact, the quest for that knowledge that first brought me to the Shire.

As to the Lonely Star, my feet long to feel her deck beneath them, and my hands to grip the wheel. What I would give to have these lively babies, pummeling my ribs as I write these words, rocked to sleep by the glassy waves!

Your son and daughter grow stronger every day. They miss their atar, as do I. Their fëas are vibrant, reaching out with great energy to take in the world around them. Once they are born I fear their ammë will be hard put to keep up with them! How I wish you were here to watch them in this season of their growth.

I wish that I could return to the warmth of Gondor and to your arms. But I find I cannot, until this task of mine is done. I miss you sorely, also, and would have you by my side, for even just a brief space of time.

Will you come to me, Mithadan?

I await your answer.

~ Your Piosenniel
Mithadan frowned for a moment. "Cami?" he muttered. "Is she delusional from overwork and pregnancy?" Then he smiled again and looked back to the ship. It would be a month and more before the work on it would be completed. He could not wait even if the seas could carry him to the north quickly enough. He would need a horse... and clothing for cold weather.

Hithmir watched as Mithadan read the letter. When he lowered it, the errand-rider asked, "Need you send a reply? I can arrange for a rider to carry it."

"Thank you," replied Mithadan. "But I shall carry my own message..."