View Single Post
Old 01-11-2004, 12:51 PM   #151
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Sting

Hello!

I know I promised one more post, but I haven't finished that yet. I'll try to either get it up later today or tomorrow. I hope that's alright. Anyway, here's the post for Fippi and the fire.

Fippi and the Fire

Fippi was pleased by the night’s accomplishments, but was even more pleased to hear the suggestion, of them all going back soon to look after the rabbits. Fippi grinned, as he bent down and picked up what looked like an eatable plant. He turned his eyes over at the others, who had gathered leaves and grass for the small ones. They would be heading back to the cave first, before returning home, to give the rabbits the juiciest leaves and grass found in Bree.

Fippi looked up, to see that dawn was drawing near. He knew that he was way too late for the agreement he and his father had reached the previous evening. Off you go! And I'll cover for you for about 1-2 hours. These were the exact word of his father. Fippi shrugged, knowing that he had been out for a lot more than 1-2 hours. By this, he grew a bit ashamed, but he shook the feeling off as he saw the other children making ready to go to the cave again. I'll soon be home, Fippi thought, assuring himself that this was how it was going to be.

He bent down one last time to find some juicy grass by a big tree trunk. As he and the other children, following him, stepped out of the shadows, Fippi felt a weird smell stream into his nostrils. Fippi opened his hand, where he had gathered grass and leaves. He stuck his nose down in it, but it wasn't the same smell which he smelt now. The smell of grass was delicious and reminded him of a hot summer day when he climbed trees. This smell, however, reminded him of ... of.. when Hedgar lit a fire!

The Hobbit boy opened his eyes wide open, looking tensely around. The other children, who noticed Fippi stopping up, came up beside him and asked curiously if there was something wrong. Fippi waved the twins off, still trying to look after something which could imply that his nostrils hadn't been completely wrong, when thinking it smelled like fire.

"The coneys!" Fippi suddenly burst out. By the cave, which wasn't far away, grey smoke could be seen and the flames made it almost impossible to be mistaken. "Fire!" he yelled, now pointing desperately at the flames. ‘We’ve got to save them!!!"

Without hesitating and in mere desperation, Edmund and Kari ran with great pace over to have a better look. Randy and Rollo followed closely behind; meanwhile the Hobbit children were the last ones to run closer, (their short legs seemed to be the main reason, not their courage). The thick grey smoke had spread around in the area in no time, and it looked like dirty snow. Somewhere in between, you could see the colour of red, mixing up with the smoke, dust and the faint sunlight. The fire would soon be out of control.

Fippi urged everyone to stay together, being afraid of losing the others in the smoke, which laid itself like a blanket around them. “I can’t see!!” Kari shrieked. Fippi felt the heat of the fire and pearls of sweat dripping down from his forehead. “Into the cave!” Fippi urged. It was all he could think of, at the moment. The others agreed, now not seeing each other clearly. “We’ve got to save the coneys, now,” Fippi continued. Fippi felt the smoke running down in his throat, causing difficulties to speak and breathe. He fought desperately against it, taking his hand to his throat, trying to breathe. He hulked as he heard Randy.

“But what about the fire,” she asked, coughing. “The cave is our only chance!” Fippi tried to shout this out loudly for everyone to hear, but he didn't know if his voice had reached everyone's ears. Fippi though, hadn’t finished before he could hear most of the children running towards and into the cave.

The darkness in the cave was unpleasant, but the smoke, luckily, hadn’t overwhelmed them, yet. Fippi looked around, hoping to see someone by his side. For a moment, he stood still, calling for the others. Why did I have to lose the others now? he thought, helping himself to calm down. Here he was, alone in the dark, in a cave with fire and smoke blocking the entrence. Was it over?

Fippi advanced over the cave floor, holding his hands out, waving desperately with them in hope to dash into somone. "Ouch!" Pearl, let out. Pearl and Hamson stood just as helpless as Fippi in the dark. But now,at least, the three of them had found each other. None of them unfortunately could seem to spot the any of the others anywhere, though.

"Fippi, is that you?" It was Kali approaching, who to the Hobbits looked like a giant in the dark. "Come!" Kali urged.

Soon they entered a chamber far into the cave. It was even darker in here, but less smoke. Fippi could glimpse the Big Folk children, who had made it to the cave before the Hobbit children. "The coneys are safe," Rollo assured Fippi. "For now," Kali said, looking at the coneys. Fippi nodded. The Hobbits and the Big Folk children lay down on the floor; it was common knowledge that smoke went upwards and that the oxygen would be nearest to the ground. They huddled together, coughing now and then as the smoke swirled around in the chamber. Fippi felt the half wet ground under his body. He looked around, getting snall gilmpses of each and every,

W-where i-is Li-ly a-and Will-ofain? Fippi stammered. Where a-are th-they? he asked. He felt his hands getting sweaty. Had the smoke overwhelmed Lily and Willofain? Hadn't the two of them made it to the cave?

That was it.

Let me know if it needs editing, please. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Nova