View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 02:56 AM   #14
Galadriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galadriel has just left Hobbiton.
[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
That Silmaril was Earendil's by right. I think that not letting him wear it would be interfering on their part, and messing with them again.
True enough, but I would think twice before letting any cursed jewellery into my realm (if I had one). This is not really related to the argument, but I don't think the Silmarils should be anyone's by right - just like certain heritage buildings are not any single person's by right.

Quote:
Somehow, I don't think there was much cursing involved. Mandos made a prophecy.... or did he? I'm not sure if the Doom of Noldor is a curse or simply him telling what lies ahead to stop the Noldor from going...
As far as I can remember, it was a curse.

Quote:
I guess you're right. They calm down when they are left alone, but are in the eye of the storm when someone touches them again. But on the other hand, although they don't have minds of their own, fate just seems to favor them. And, if you ask me, they are the second-major character of The Sil (yes, character!), after the Oath of Feanor. The third woud be Morgoth.
Intriguing observation

Quote:
I sometimes wonder if they were too... otherwordly? to be left in peace in ME. It says that Luthien was too beautiful to live for long when she wore the Silmaril. And maybe the Silmarilli by themselves are too beautiful to be admired by all and yet not be lusted for.
I'm not sure about this. Lúthien, of course, is a child of Ilúvatar, which implies that He had some power over her making. With the Silmarils, they were made directly by Fëanor, and even though they had the Light of the Trees in them, they had little and less to do with the One (or indeed with the Valar). Even so, they appear otherworldly to me, as I do believe that Fëanor had skill that was directly gifted to him by Ilúvatar (the same way Lúthien's beauty was gifted to her). With Lúthien, there would be genetics involved, but I do not recall either Thingol or Melian described as being so startlingly beautiful.