View Single Post
Old 10-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #141
Gothmog
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gothmog has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Gothmog
Well, I've already spoken for Gwindor as the elf who had it hardest (here)
but when I read this thread I came to think about the sons of Feanor. At least Maedhros and Maglor. They lived their lives trapped by the oath of their father and I've always felt as if those two could have gone an other way if things would have been different.

All of Feanors sons was born in one of the most noble of families and they were all gifted in one way or another. But as the time passed, they were all involved in the downfall of the noldor. Still I don't think they were evil. Ok, it's hard to find any good deeds amongst Celegorm, Curufin and Caranthir. But for example: Elrond and Elros ended up just fine after beeing taken care of by Maglor
Quote:
For Maglor took pity upon Elros and Elrond, and he cherished them, and love grew after between them, as little might be thought; but Maglor's heart was sick and weary with the burden of the dreadful oath.
None of them was a saint, but I feal sorry for them. As always, it's a question of definition; what is a tragic figure?

And their death may also grant them a place in the tragic hall of fame. Finally able to put their hands on the Silmarils but as is said about Maedhros:
Quote:
...and that his right thereto had become void, and the oathwas vain.
One throwing himself in to a chasm of fire in "anguish and despair" and the other forever wandering the shores, "singing in pain and regret".

Is that to be called tragic?

He who breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom
~Lurker...
Gothmog is offline   Reply With Quote