View Single Post
Old 05-16-2005, 07:23 AM   #127
mormegil
Maundering Mage

mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.mormegil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
Mho, did you notice that your list has only male names?! How about the women who were tragic characters? Sharku at least mentioned Finduilas...
From LotR, Eowyn has the tragic element of loving Aragorn without being loved in return - that changes later, but is tragic nonetheless.
From Appendix A, Gilraen (Aragorn's mother)is a tragic character, dying hopeless: "I gave Hope to the Dunedain, I have kept no hope for myself."
And what about Tar-Miriel (Silm), being forced into marriage by a man who used her to get the crown, then brought ruin upon Numenor and death to her in its destruction?!Perhaps others who know the Silm and UT better than I do can find additional examples of tragic women's fates!
If we are looking for tragic women, Morwen would definately be near the top of the list. Lost her husband, young daughter, older daughter, and her son could do not right. Hurin's whole family could be viewed as tragic.