View Single Post
Old 12-06-2008, 10:50 PM   #699
Lilly
Haunting Spirit

Lilly has just left Hobbiton.
Away from the Inn....but getting nearer

Hugh hummed to himself at times as Jolly plodded along behind Will’s pony, and often, too, quite loudly. He found that it helped him to think if he engaged in some mindless activity. And at the moment, he was humming one the tunes his dear old mum used to sing as she did the family clothes washing.

‘Why that’s it!’ he cried out all of a sudden yanking back sharply on his pony’s reins. ‘You, there, lad!’ he called out to Will, motioning for him to draw near.

‘That letter,’ he said wagging his finger at Will. ‘Now this is going to sound quite mad to you, I’m sure. But it’s the honest truth. That place where it was from....I remember the fellow who gave it to me said the fellow as gave it to him had come up from somewhere as sounded like.....let’s see now – "wash", "washing". No, now that’s not it.’ Hugh scrunched up his face and thought hard. ‘ "Launder"....that’s what he said, or at least something real close to it. “Launder”....’

‘That and he said the fellow told him he’d come up from the end of the river.....’