View Single Post
Old 12-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #695
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
‘It’s Rowan, Master Widlast,’ the serving lass replied. ‘Sometimes I forget that not every one knows me,’ she laughed. ‘It seems like everyone has passed through the Perch at one time or another.’ She shrugged. ‘Anyways, sorry, I was bad-mannered! I wouldn’t want you to think me rude.’ She grimaced at the thought. Good grief, what would my old Gammer think of me!

‘Ah, well, now that we’ve got that straightened away....’ Rowan topped off Granny’s tea. ‘There’s no coin to be worrying about for the tea and toast and such this morning. You see, our cook’s gone missing, and we’re putting out this little make-do nibble until we can figure out what we can throw....errr, that is put together, for lunch.’ She nodded toward the food and drink. ‘So, help yourself, else whatever bread is leftover goes out to feed the hens....and goodness knows they’re plenty well fed as it is!’

‘I hope you don’t mind me stealing Miz Penstemon away for a while,’ she went on. ‘Prim and I could sure use your help putting some sandwiches together for lunch, Granny.’ She smiled at Widlast as she helped the older Hobbit up and handed her cane to her. ‘I’ll bring your mug and plate, Gran. After you....’

As they neared the door to the kitchen, Rowan bent close to Granny and whispered. ‘Did you hear what he said about his coat, Gran? He said it found it somewhere near to the sea. That’s where the big ships would be, wouldn’t they?’ She gave a quick glance back at the dusty man. ‘Maybe he would know about the little carved ship we found.’