View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 02:44 PM   #29
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
Quick thoughts....

Haven't had time to read all that's been said, so I hope this isn't repeating.

First off, the narration by Cate is brilliant. When I sit down to watch the movie, I get chills even before the words begin. The fact that it starts off in elvish really adds a lot I think. Basically highlighting that this is a completely different world than what we are used to. It almost comes across as a translation then(which it actually is... book-->movie), and sets it apart. But just in general the voiceover was very pleasing. Especially '...history became legend, legend became myth...' says so much more than just that the Ring was forgotten.

The Last Alliance was pretty good, too. I enjoyed the rows of archers firing one after another, as well as the first row of elves with glaives(I think that's what they are). The fighting was good, too. Not very extensive, but well shot.

The only thing I really didn't like about this sequence is the way Sauron was defeated. First, he simply hurls Elendil against a wall like a rag doll. Not a lot wrong there(from movie standpoint). Then Isildur runs to his father, completely disregarding the battle, and removes his helmet. Upon noticing Sauron's approach, he reaches for his father's sword, which is crushed by the Dark Lord. Nothing wrong so far.

But this next part is what irks me. Sauron, for some unknown reason, reaches down, with his Ring hand, towards Isildur, who is holding the equivalent of a knife. Completely stupid. Not only is it off from the book, it doesn't make any sense. Seriously, show Isildur get a rush of adrenaline and knock Sauron down. Make Sauron swing and miss, get off balance, and Isildur makes a well timed shot. Make Sauron trip on a rock or something, I don't care, just don't make it like 'Oh, here, cut off my Ring."!

Sorry. That part is just a little annoying to me.

Apart from that, the whole sequence was excellant.