View Single Post
Old 01-30-2020, 08:42 AM   #21
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The art of world building infused with a mesure of purposed internal confusion [JRRT, The History of Galadriel and Celeborn, Unfinished Tales]:

"When Celeborn and Galadriel became the rulers of the Elves of Lorien ( . . .) the name of Galadriel became associated with trees, an association that was aided by the name of her husband, which also appeared to contain a tree-word; so that outside Lorien among those whose memories of the ancient days and Galadriel's history had grown dim her name was often altered to Galadhriel. Not in Lorien itself."

Especially noting "outside" Lorien and among those whose memories of Galadriel's history had grown dim -- makes sense. A considered explanation, given both the internal history and the forms of the name.

Here are the names (not even sure if I found every variation, but anyway) of Celeborn and Galadriel as found in the drafts of The Lord of the Rings:

Tar and Finduilas
Aran and Rhien
Galdaran and Galdrin
Galathir and Galadhrien

[and resuming with
Galadriel's name]

Galdrien
Galadrien
Galadriel

Are each of these variant forms to be explained internally? Again I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, especially if done for fun, but when I said (above) mountain of inconsistencies -- fan-made inconsistencies -- if we are going to add draft texts for The Lord of the Rings (and The Hobbit?), them I'll repeat what I said above but change mountain to "mountain range".

Last edited by Galin; 01-30-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote