Thread: Announcement
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Stream of consciousness idealizing may be fine for folks like John Lennon writing songs like "I Am the Walrus", but it doesn't really lend itself to an online forum.
I see my name mentioned several times, surrounded by great heaping mounds of verbiage that have little correlation to anything that makes any sense. And so, in the spirit of spirited replies to a stream-of-consciousness manuscript, I will merely post the greatest of such reviews ever penned. In this case, a publisher's rejection of an M.S. written by Gertrude Stein, the Mama of Dada:

FROM ARTHUR C. FIFIELD, PUBLISHER,
13, CLIFFORD'S INN, LONDON, E.C.
TELEPHONE 14430 CENTRAL.

April 19, 1912.

Dear Madam,

I am only one, only one, only one. Only one being, one at the same time. Not two, not three, only one. Only one life to live, only sixty minutes in one hour. Only one pair of eyes. Only one brain. Only one being. Being only one, having only one pair of eyes, having only one time, having only one life, I cannot read your M.S. three or four times. Not even one time. Only one look, only one look is enough. Hardly one copy would sell here. Hardly one. Hardly one.

Many thanks. I am returning the M.S. by registered post. Only one M.S. by one post.

Sincerely yours,

(Signed 'A. C. Fifield')

Miss Gertrude Stein,
27 Rue de Fleurus,
Paris,
France.

Last edited by Morthoron; 10-12-2019 at 12:46 AM.