View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 08:32 PM   #153
Morwen Tindomerel
Wight

Morwen Tindomerel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

"I think all of you should go out and buy a George Macdonald book..A good one would be "Lilith"..."

And if you figure out what it's about please email me! Yes I own a copy but have never understood the plot, (assuming there is one). The Christian imagery is of course impossible to miss but as to what it all means...... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

H. Ridder Haggard's adventure stories definitely shade into fantasy, especially with the 'She' books, (Ayesha reminds me a little of Galadriel actually - a Galadriel who took the Ring that is!)

I see I'm not the only Katherine Kurtz reader here - Chronicles of the Deryni, Histories of King Kelson, Legends of Camber of Culdi and Saint Camber's Heirs. The Eleven Kingdoms are a very detailed high medieval fantasy world with an emphasis on political intrigue, ritual magic and the Catholic religion and canon law. Featuring a magically gifted race known as the Deryni who are feared and persecuted by the normal Humans, and not without reason!

In addition to Lloyd Alexander's 'Chronicles of Prydain' there is another series based on the Mabinogion by Evangeline Walton; Prince of Annwn, Children of Llyr, Song of Rhiannon, and Isle of the Mighty. Which is far closer to the source material and mature in theme.

Has anybody read R.A. MacAvoy's 'Damiano' trilogy? featuring a young Italian wizard, a Finnish witch and the Archangel Raphael.

And then there's Tom Holt's humorous fantasies; 'Expecting Someone Taller' in which the Ring of the Nibelung, (remember that?) comes to a nice if nebbishy young Englishman who finds absolute power isn't anywhere near as much fun as one might think, especially when one has the entire Norse pantheon on ones back. In 'Who's Afraid of Beowulf' an archeologist named Hildy Frederiksen discovers a wonderful viking ship burial, unfortunately the vikings turn out not to be as dead as she thought they were. King Rolf Earthstar and his band of heroes adopt her as their guide to the modern world as they set out to destroy the evil Sorceror King, who for some reason has gone into computers.... 'Flying Dutch' features, who else? the Flying Dutchman who wants to find a cure for his immortality - which has some unpleasant side effects the legend forgets to mention.

Also in the humor category is Tim Powers 'Drawing of the Dark' where in a sixteenth century Irish soldier of fortune is recruited by an odd character calling himself 'Aurelianus' to act as a bouncer in an Viennese Inn and brewery which is definitely more than it seems - and so unfortunately for him is poor Brian Duffy!

Barbara Hambly is the author of several fantasy series. Her names show a definite Tolkien influence; a wizard named Ingold Inglorion, a dragon called Morkeleb. She is a highly descriptive author with an eye for fashion and decor. I like that, but not everybody does.

A favorite of mine that nobody has mentioned is Randal Garret's 'Lord Darcy' series. Mystery stories set in an alternate world where magic takes the place of science and Plantagenet Kings still rule most of Western Europe and the Americas through a modified feudal system. Customs and technology are Victorian and nobody seems to mind the highly stratefied social system. Lord Darcy himself is Chief Investigator to his Royal Highness Prince Richard Duke of Normandy. Assisted by that able master of forensic sorcery Master Sean O'Lochlain. Perpare to learn more than you ever wanted to know about practical sorcery and the laws of magic!

I've got lots more but I think I'll stop now. My fingers are tired [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Morwen Tindomerel is offline   Reply With Quote