View Single Post
Old 04-16-2003, 03:39 PM   #143
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Aha, Guo Si, the Journey to the West must surely be the book which was adapted for TV in the 70s as the series 'Monkey'. I'm sure all UK Downers of a certain age will fondly remember Monkey, Pigsy, Sandy and the rather confusing (boy or girl?) Tripitaka. I think the series was made in China and dubbed into English - great fun. I confess to having tried to read the book once but given up, perhaps the translation wasn't up to scratch.

The Water Margin was also said to be a great TV series, but sadly not broadcast in my area at the time.

OK, on to the books. As many have said, I find it difficult to nominate good fantasy authors. The Eddings books are OK for a relaxing read, but rather shallow perhaps. I still love Terry Pratchett, for bringing the whole genre down a peg. Has anyone read any of Lord Dunsany's books, fantasy which pre-dated Tolkien? I'd be interested to hear your opinion as I haven't tried them yet.

In the Sci-Fi a long time favourite of mine was the fantastic Douglas Adams (now sadly missed) who wrote the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and others (though never enough). Also Philip K. **** , K.W. Jeter and William Gibson, used to be a big Asimov fan too. Iain M. Banks is currently a favourite, anyone who can write a book consisting in art of e-mails between spacecraft and make it a gripping read (Excession) has my vote. 'Consider Phlebas' is probably the best one to start with. (By the way, Banks and Jeter contain 'adult' themes, so I couldn't recommend them for some of our younger members - or at least don't get caught!).

I'll have to put a word in for the clasics of course. Odyssey and Aeneid are surely essential for the 'heroic age' and the Mabinogion is full of weird and wonderful things from my own cultural background!